A BRIEF HISTORY OF
Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory Forever
In 1915 with the blessing of the late Metropolitan Alexander and the generous gift of ten lots by a real estate firm.
In 1923, the late Metropolitan Platon assigned the late V. Rev. Averky Bondarchuk as pastor. A school/hall was built, a church school was started. and a parish home was added during the years at 12900 Goddard.
In 1933, as the membership grew. an addition was built onto the church and a new Iconostas was blessed. Various church organizations, such as the “R” Club, the Sisterhood, and the Brotherhood, were also instituted at this time. Additionally, a bell tower was built in the 1940’s.
However, after World War II, the expanding parish created a need for an even larger facility. So, in 1949, fifty-five lots on East Eight Mile Road between Anglin and Harned Streets in
Ground breaking for the new facilities was held on July 31, 1955. Construction began on the new church and rectory on August 22, 1955. Finally, in April of 1959, the structures were completed at the cost of $300,000. The first service was held on Pascha May 3, 1959.
The late V. Rev. Bondarchuk retired after 47 years as pastor in December of 1970. During the following two months, the late R. Rev. Father Manchuk served the parish by appointment of the late Archbishop John. The late V. Rev. Father Sam Sura served until July of 1972 when the late V. Rev. Father Andrew Woronovich became the new Pastor.
Under Father Woronovich, more improvements were made. A new Iconostas and altar were blessed and consecrated by the late Metropolitan Ireney. This ceremony included the placement of a relic of St. Herman of
Father Woronovich served Holy Trinity for twenty-five years until his retirement in July of 1997. The V. Rev. George Breyan then served as pastor for two years. The next pastor is the current priest, Rev. Father Lev Kopistiansky, who was assigned by Bishop Job in July of 1999. Other priests who have served at different times over the years include the R. Rev. Vitaly Bahanovich, the R. Rev. Basil Butchko. the late V. Rev. Walter Diachenko, the late V. Rev. Stephen Rusiniak, the Protopresbyter Daniel Hubiak. and the R. Rev. John Washchek.
Father Lev Kopistiansky has set goals for Holy Trinity’s congregation to strive toward at the onset of this new century. Spiritual growth, worship, education, and financial solvency are the intertwining pathways that are of major focus. Remembering and visiting shut-ins, adult education, the church school program, building improvements, the financial support of seminarians, charity projects, and the establishment of the Frank and Mary Kovach Award for the church school are just some of the examples of the growth mid development necessary to attain these goals.
Throughout these last 96 years and with the many changes which have occurred,